Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Let's make a fun one!! (Tribute to Final Fantasy)

   Ok, so I've sorta had enough with the whole "human race" thingy I got going on in here, and I decided to do a new topic. Video games. Yup. Video games. My faves and why they're my faves. There's gonna be pics and everything so this might even be the best one yet! (For those of you who actually know me, you might know where this is heading.)
   So, from a few years back I used to be a video game enthusiast. My sister was the first one to actually bring me in contact with a gaming console, which was the GameBoy and a little game called Tetris. I wasn't any good at it but I really liked it! Afterwards, the first colored consoles appeared. The Sega Megadrive, the Gamegear and the NES were the first that I remember. All of them starred Mario and Sonic of course. My first console was the SNES (aka Super Famicom). I mostly played the Mario Bros games since I didn't really know of anything else back then. Actually, that's still a habit of mine. Clinging on to a title and not trying anything else but that.






   My favorite's were Yoshi's Island and Mario Kart. I had a great level of skill with these games and soon realized that I was into them, even though no one else I knew was. Most of the kids at school were into shooting games like Wolfenstein or the early Duke Nukem games. I only had one more friend that liked the Mario games.
   Then came the next generation. I was in year 5 when the Playstation came out. Due to traveling back and forth from another country, I was forced to make new friends. One of them invited me to his house one day, told me he had a sweet game to play. When I went there, I saw him playing this:







    It must've taken me about one hour to lose myself in it. I didn't have a Playstation at the time, so I would just go back to my friends house everyday after school, just to catch up on the storyline. When we watched Aerith die it was one of the most shocking moments ever. He got pissed off because he had her on his team, and didn't talk to me for a while. Then he completed the game, and I didn't see it again for a while. That's when the next installment, Final Fantasy VIII was released. He got that as well, but I hadn't even gotten a Playstation yet.
   When I finally did get one, Final Fantasy IX came out and it was the first one I ever played on my own. I enjoyed it so much that I would lock myself in the house with everyone gone, just so that I wouldn't miss any of the story. It may have been the best gaming time of my life.
   During the next generation, I made sure I was prepared. So I already had a PS2 when Final Fantasy X came out and I had just as much fun with that game as well. And although the story didn't seem as good as the one in IX, the renewed graphics made up for that to the fullest.


   Even though Final Fantasy XI disappointed  me in being an online game (something I have a policy against), I carried on with the Final Fantasy mythos and there were still good things to come like X-2 and XII. But then, it was finally time for the return. Final Fantasy VII, the one that started it all for me, was coming back!
   There was a whole series of material planned named the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII. There were two games, one movie, one game for cell phones and a bunch of books. I started off with what was the latest in the storyline, Dirge of Cerberus. Then I saw the movie called Advent Children which was pretty good, but somehow felt incomplete.
   That's when I decided on the purchase of a PSP for the sole purpose of getting a chance to play Crisis Core (the game that was before the Final Fantasy story). something that I did not regret.

   

   Possibly the most emotional -or one of the most emotional at least- games I had ever played. After this it was hard to imagine if anything would top it. Of course the movie was re-released with much better graphics, and it was kinda on the same level, but to this day, I have to admit that this and the first Final Fantasy VII game were the best I had played.
   After that we entered the third generation. It all began very promising, with announcements and releases of new games, but we are still in the process of it. This began with the release of Final Fantasy XIII for the new, flashy, PS3. It had a nice story to it, nothing of the likes of VII though, but it was awfully difficult! About a year later the sequel, XIII-2 was announced, but until it's release I got to play some of the older classics like Final Fantasy VI and V, and I also purchased Dissidia Duodecim for my PSP. Out of the three, only VI was worth the effort. V was way too hard and the menus were a mess, and Duodecim was too easy and had absolutely no concept. It was just a fighting game.
    Then XIII-2 was finally released. It was fun, pretty easy and not at all boring. It was a nice improvement, but that ended with a great big "To Be Continued" sign as well. So, still waiting. On that and on other games Final Fantasy games as well.
   I also began to look more into other games I might like. When I first bought a PS3, I also bought Dragonball Raging Blast, which was a pretty fun fighting game, as was Naruto Generations which I bought in March. These aren't half as fun as a good Final Fantasy but since you know the characters and the story behind them, it's always good to try new stuff.
   The most attractive elements to the Final Fantasy series is that most of the time they tell the tale of different characters. It's like all of a sudden you come into contact with these people that you don't know and don't care about and as you move along the story you find pieces of yourself inside of them, so whether you want to or not, you become attached. Squall from Final Fantasy VIII was one of the greatest examples. Squall didn't like to talk much. He brushed others off, not caring what they'd say and all he'd do was follow commands, not once giving a damn about anything else. Until eventually you find out that Squall was (spoiler alert) taken from his mother when he was a baby and put in an orphanage from where the only other person that he trusted was pulled out of before he even turned eight. That's what's so magical about these games. Sure, they have nice graphics, music and they're fun to play, but this is what has won over most of the players. And that's why they're expecting even more of this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment